Ice Lake is one of the most outstanding and loved locations in the Eagle Cap. Even though the location is just under 8 miles from the Wallowa Lake Trailhead, the last 5 miles involves numerous switchbacks over rocky ground and gains 2350’ in elevation. The trail climbs, unbelievably, right up a rockslide and up through sub-alpine into alpine, making the journey both beautiful and interesting as well. As you climb to the top, a large waterfall presents itself as you make the final accent into the large cirque that cradles Ice Lake (el 7849’). While this strenuous journey can be made round-trip in a day, your feet will be far happier if you camp and spend a few days relaxing, fishing or exploring the many peaks that surround this unforgettable destination.
- Check the local fishing stores for bait or dry-fly recommendations.
- Be Well Prepared: If you stay overnight, check the weather and understand that that the mountains make their own: you can absolutely be snowed on in July.
- Load your star chart: Stars from this location will blow you away!
- Note to Horseback Riders: This location has almost zero forage for horses- be prepared to pack in weed-free local hay or pellets if you’re staying overnight. Also, check your horses’ shoes and pack at least one easy-boot per horse- this trail is rocky- anything less-than-perfect or older shoeing will most likely fail.
- Matterhorn Matterhorn
- Ice Lake Fishing Ice Lake Fishing
- Ice Lake Ice Lake
- Evening Fishing Evening Fishing
- Ice Lake Waterfall Ice Lake Waterfall